History of Estabrook School
In 1957, Harvard University and Lexington Public Schools (Franklin School) engaged in a progressive partnership called the SUPRAD project (School and University Program for Research and Design) that led to the design and build of the original Estabrook School, which opened in 1961 and became one of the first team teaching schools in the United States. Estabrook School’s first educational philosophy included flexible instruction, varied age groups learning together, cooperative learning and mentor teachers. Teachers taught small and large teams of students, and these teams rotated from one teacher to the next, to learn from those educators who were regarded as the most expert teachers in each academic area. This philosophy proved successful, and many traveled from around the world and across decades to see Estabrook School. Estabrook was even featured on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post in the 1960’s.
In February 2014, Estabrook School opened a newly constructed, 90,000 sq.ft. LEED Silver (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) building.
Estabrook Elementary is named after Joseph Estabrook (1669–1733), the first schoolteacher in Lexington. It is notable for being the oldest Lexington Elementary school. Captain and Deacon Joseph Estabrook settled in Hingham. In 1710 he was assigned to the Lexington Church. He was elected Deacon in 1716. He commanded a military company, filled the offices of town clerk, treasurer, assessor, selectman, and representative to the General Court. He was often employed as a surveyor and was engaged to teach in the first school in Lexington.